2 Class Periods
|Matisse's Goldfish Bowls, First Grade Art Lesson|
Student reviewed the life and artwork of Henri Matisse. For more information on the artist you can visit our previous lesson Icarus. We used Matisse's The Goldfish painting for inspiration for this lesson.
|The Goldfish by Henri Matisse.|
- Students rolled out a slab of clay "pancake thick." A fish bowl pattern was traced onto the clay and then cut out.
- Students were then shown how to create a fish out of clay.
- The slip (water) and score (scratch) attach method was taught to the students.
|Student adding fish pieces to clay with slip and score method.|
- Students were allowed the remainder of the class period to decorate the bowls by adding rocks, plants, bubbles and multiple fish.
- Pieces were collected and allowed to dry before firing in the kiln.
- When student return to class, projects have been bisque fired. A brief discussion is held on the difference between the clay from day 1 to day 2.
- Students painted the pieces using tempera paints.
|Painting project with tempera paints.|
- A gloss spray is applied to piece to prevent the paint from rubbing off.