|5 Types of Line in Warm and Cool Hues, Kindergarten Lesson|
- As a class we examined the 5 types of lines: vertical, horizontal, diagonal, curvy and zig-zag. Students were shown how to create these lines using their body as a form of expression. Examples: vertical lines stand straight and tall, diagonal lines lean to the side (students would reach with their body in a diagonal direction)
- On watercolor paper students created each type of line.
- Students were shown how the 5 types of line could be varied by creating dotted or dashed marks. Students were instructed to add a dotted or dashed line to their compositions. Students had to be able to identify the varied line as vertical, horizontal, diagonal, curvy or zig-zag.
- The compositions were outline with a black crayon.
- On the second day of class the types of line were reviewed.
- Next, we examined the color wheel and discussed cool and warm hues.
- Students were instructed that they were to choose either a cool or warm color scheme for their composition. Neutral colors were also allowed.
- A demonstration was given on how to create opaque and transparent colors with the watercolor paint as well as how to use watercolor crayons.
- Students used the rest of the class period to paint their compositions.