2 Class Periods
|Snow Cardinals, Kindergarten Art Lesson|
- Students listened to the story Albert by Donna Jo Napoli. As the story was read, students were asked to pay extra attention to the cardinal within the story.
- Students were asked to take a purple or blue crayon and color the background in on their 9 x 12 inch piece of light blue paper.
- All students were then given a brown oil pastel. Together as a class, students were given directions on how to create a tree branch for their cardinal to sit on.
- Using red tempera paint and a small brush, students were taught how to paint a cardinal step by step. Many students recognized that the body of the bird had to be a circle and the head shape a triangle.
- Students used black and orange triangles to create the face for each bird.
- Eyes were added with a white color pencil.
- Last, but not least, snowflakes were added with a Q-tip using white liquid tempera paint.