2 Class Periods
|Fat Cat on a Mat, Kindergarten Art Lesson|
- Students listened to the story Fat Cat On a Mat by Nurit Karlin. Students were asked to listen for the rhyming words within the story.
- Using follow along demonstration, students create their own fat cat. Shapes were reviewed as we drew the parts of the cat.
- Once cats were drawn, students sponge painted the cats using liquid tempera paint.
- Together as a class we discussed the term pattern (a repeating design). Several examples were given in class.
- Students were then instructed to cut an oval out of a 12 x 18 inch piece of construction paper and were asked to place their own pattern around the border.
- Finally, students cut out their fat cat from the day before and glued it to their completed mat.