Kindergarten Art Lesson
3 Class Periods
|Color Mixing Gustav Trees, Kindergarten Lesson|
About the Artist Studied:
Gustav Klimt (1862-1918) was a painter from Austria who loved to incorporate patterns, design and gold paint into his artworks. As a class we examined and discussed one of Gustav's more famous paintings The Tree of Life.
|Tree of Life by Gustav Klimt.|
|Photograph of Gustav Klimt.|
1. Read books Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh and White Rabbit's Color Book by Alan Baker to students. Discuss primary and secondary colors as you read the story.
2. Have students use only primary colors to paint a sky for their compositions.
1. Review with students primary and secondary colors.
2. Using follow along demonstration have students paint a tree in the style of Gustav Klimt.
|Students painting Gustav Klimt inspired trees.|
1. Share basic information with students on life and works of Gustav Klimt. Examine his painting Tree of Life. Discuss how it is similar to their own tree painting.
2. Have students use circles of various colors and sizes to decorate tree. Explain how these circles become a repeated pattern within their artwork. Have student's incorporate gold circles, too! Remind them how much Gustav loved to paint with gold.
Examples of Student Artwork: